The Natural Hair Symposium will include a natural hair artwork along with events coinciding to help educate on certain topics and issues in the natural hair community. At the symposium, we will have guest speakers and stylists, hair models (youth and adult), presentations on the historical context of natural hair, and product/styling demos.
The dates listed are Saturdays, at the Dr. Robert Powless Cultural Center at AICHO:
- Sept 1st 6pm-9pm: Gallery Art Show Reception and Hair Show
- Sept 15th 3pm-6pm: History of Natural Hair Presentation and Hair Styling Workshops
- Sept 29th 3pm-6pm: Natural Hair Panel and Hair Product Workshops
Project Naptural’s Natural Hair Symposium welcomes all but is catered to the empowerment of kinky and curly-haired female-identified folks. The symposium is free and but registration is required for each participant to account for food and swag bags. Parents must fill out the form for themselves and each child participating.
Refreshments will be made available. A public transportation pass will be given to participants after each session if necessary. A waiver will be required for photos.
Project Naptural is an educational, grant supported, academic design research and cultural study about the social implications of natural hair and its effects on Black women.
Terresa is the Creative Director at Blackbird Revolt, an Assistant Professor of Graphic Design at UMD, and the creator and design researcher of Project Naptural. She serves on the executive boards of the Duluth NAACP, Clayton Jackson McGhie Memorial Committee, and AIGA Minnesota as the Dir. of Diversity & Inclusion.
Sandra is a co-founder of DanSan Creatives and a coordinator in UMD’s Office of Diversity & Inclusion. She has worked as an advocate at a women’s shelter, Girl Power! and the Girls Restorative Justice Program. She serves as a member of the NAACP and in her community as a mentor for ARE.
What to Expect
- Swag bag with full-size products
- Combs, brushes, spray bottles, and other hair maintenance items
- A variety of natural hair giveaways
- Project Naptural coloring book
- Art Show and Natural Hair Show (Sept. 1)
- Creating Your Hairstory (Sept. 15)
- Interactive Hair Demos (Sept. 15)
- Head Wrapping Demos & Scarf Making (Sept. 15)
- Napturalistas sharing their hair journey (Sept. 29)
- Natural Hair Product Making (Sept. 29)